Houston Family Immigration Lawyer


While bringing your fiancée, spouse or child to the United States may be relatively straightforward, you may be surprised to learn that bringing your mother, father, sister, brother, or other family member to the U.S. is more complicated. An experienced  Houston family immigration lawyer can explain what you need to know about family immigration and what you can expect during the process.

For assistance in helping your parent, sibling or other family member come to live in the U.S., contact the Houston family immigration attorneys at the Law Office of David A. Breston today. We are dedicated to the unification of families through family immigration, and we can help you be reunited with your loved ones.


Houston family immigration attorney David Breston can help you file an immigrant petition for your family member and help ensure that it is filled out completely and accurately. Our firm will correspond with foreign consulates as appropriate. We will help set realistic expectations for when your loved one might receive an immigrant visa number and be allowed to move to the U.S.

Sadly, family immigration for a sibling or parent can take a long time – even years – mainly due to:

  • Family members who are not spouses are put into “preference categories” based on their relationship to you.
  • There are a limited number of visas for each preference category.
  • There are a limited number of visas available for each country for each year.
  • The waiting period is based on how many visas are available in your loved one’s category.

While your family member’s application may be approved immediately, he or she still must wait for an immigrant visa number to become available. We will do everything we can to make sure this process is as smooth and as quick as it can be, by carefully completing forms and submitting them as soon as possible.

For experienced help in bringing your mother, father, brother, sister or other family member to the United States, contact family immigration lawyer David A. Breston today.

For information on immigrant visa petitions and getting a visa number for your family member, visit the Department of State Web site on family immigration.