Houston DWI Attorney
If you or a loved one has recently been arrested for a DWI or DUI in Houston or Harris County, we want you to know that we are here to help. Our lawyers understand how stressful being arrested can be and our Houston DWI defense attorneys are ready, willing, and able to defend you or your loved one against this criminal DWI charge. It is important to remember that being arrested for a DWI does not mean you are guilty or will be convicted.
Our Houston DWI defense lawyers specialize in developing successful defenses to charges by utilizing the science behind blood-alcohol and our specialized knowledge of proper police procedure during a DWI arrest.
Driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs is a serious crime in Texas. If you received a DWI charge, you could be facing fines, license suspension, and even jail time depending on the severity of the accident. The Law Office of David A. Breston is here to help defend you against these charges.
Even if you do receive a DWI charge, it does not mean that you are guilty of the crime or you will receive a hefty conviction. Our firm will work closely to you to learn more about your side of the story and develop a compelling case on your behalf.
• Our firms will work closely with you to provide a tailored approach to your DWI case. By provide individualized attention to you, we can build a stronger defense to present in court.
• The Law Office of David A. Breston has significant experience in multiple areas of criminal defense law, including DWI charges.
• For nearly a decade, our firm has worked closely in Houston area courts. We are very familiar with the trial processes and systems your DWI case will go through and can provide guidance along every step of the way.
Texas DWI Laws and Statutes
In the state of Texas, it is illegal to drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs. The state considers you intoxicated if you ingest alcohol, drugs, or any other substance that alters your mental or physical faculties to the point that you are impaired. If you operate a vehicle while intoxicated, you could face significant penalties.
Texas will consider you intoxicated if you fit any of the following criteria while driving.
• You ingested a drug or other substance that impairs your ability to drive.
• You are a non-commercial driver over the age of 21 and have a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 or higher.
• You are a commercial driver with a BAC of .04 or higher.
• You are under the age of 21 and have any detectable amount of alcohol in your system.
Under Texas law, you can get a DWI charge even if you were not driving. The state specifically defines DWI as operating a vehicle while intoxicated, which includes more than physically driving it. The definition of operate is very broad, including any action that could enable the use of the vehicle.
What to Do After a DWI Arrest in Harris County
The moments after an officer pulls you over for a DWI can be disorienting. However, it is important to take the following steps to protect yourself and the outcome of your future trial.
• If a police officer pulls you over on suspicion of a DWI, it is important to comply with his or her instructions. Under Texas’s implied consent laws, you need to submit to a DWI blood or breath test if the police officer requests you to take this test. You can receive a license suspension between 180 days to 2 years for refusing DWI testing.
• Contact a DWI attorney as soon as possible. You need an attorney who understands DWI litigation in Texas, and a general attorney cannot usually provide that knowledge. The Law Office of David A. Breston has significant experience in this practice area and can help guide you to the best possible outcome.
• Prepare with your attorney for your arraignment. Your attorney will help advise you on how to plead during your trial, as well as what to say and how to present yourself. It is possible to contest and fight DWI charges in the jury trial.
If you are facing DWI charges in Houston or the surrounding areas, the Law Office of David A. Breston can help defend your side of the story. Our firm has significant experience representing clients in their DWI cases and will work closely with you to craft creative strategies to combat your claim.
Our firm is happy to meet with you to discuss your case and legal options. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation at our Houston offices.
Contact a Houston DWI Lawyer Today
Don’t hesitate to contact the attorneys at The Law Office of David A. Breston today if you or a loved one has recently been convicted of a drunk driving charge. Since 1997, David A. Breston has been serving Houston and helping represent those who are usually under-represented for criminal charges. Our lawyers will fight hard for your freedom and will do whatever it takes to ensure that you are our priority. Don’t just take our word for it, hear what our clients have to say on Google, Yelp, and Facebook.